Free Dyslexia Screener
For each statement below record or circle the number that best represents your reaction to each question. Click here to download a printable copy.
1. There is a history of dyslexia or reading problems in the family.
2. Reading is slow and laborious.
3. Lists and sequences, such as the alphabet, are/were very difficult to learn.
4. Multi-syllable words are/were very difficult to pronounce (spaghetti is passgetti).
5. Letters with similar sounds are/were difficult to learn. e.g. /ě/ vs. /ă/, /f/ vs. /th/ or /t/ vs. /d/.
6. Spelling and grammar is/was very difficult to master.
7. Letter, number and word reversals occur frequently (e.g. “was” as “saw” or “b” as “d”).
8. Rhyming words are/were difficult to learn.
9. Telling time on a clock with hands (analog) is/was difficult to learn.
10. Multi-step directions are/were difficult to follow.
11. Finding the right words while speaking and writing is challenging.
12. Directionality is/was very difficult. e.g. left vs. right or east vs. west.
13. Listening to a teacher and taking notes is/was difficult.
14. Proofreading written work is challenging.
15. Expressing ideas in an organized way is difficult.
16. Understanding word problems in math is challenging.
17. Understanding jokes, puns, sarcasm and idioms is difficult.
18. Maintaining a positive, academic self-esteem is challenging.
19. Filtering out background noise while learning or reading is difficult.
20. Distinguishing between words that sound or look similar is challenging - “effect" vs. “affect," “anecdote" vs. “antidote."
Scoring: Add up each number circled above to tally your score: __________
1 - 65 Insignificant signs of dyslexia
66 - 75 Might have dyslexia
76- 100 Significant signs of dyslexia - pursue psychoeducational testing to confirm
For reading specialists, educational therapists, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents.
That bring delight to learning
This simple 20 question dyslexia screener is designed to uncover the likelihood of whether you or your child has dyslexia. The results of this quiz will help to define whether you should pursue formal testing.